Thursday 21 September 2017

Injections!

Tonight is my last night for injections! YAY!

I've pricked myself, typically with 3 needles a day, for 8 days now. So I am happy to say that the "stimming" stage of IVF is over!

This is what happens when you are rushing to give yourself an injection in the morning... you end up pricking yourself in the wrong place! That might look like a small drop of blood... but when you aren't expecting it and inject that needle deep into your finger, yowzers!



Also, this is what it looks like when you're trying to maintain a social life, but you have to keep up with your injections at the same time! Injections in a parking lot... not sketchy at all... ;-)


Yesterday we went into OFC for our first ultrasound to check-in and see how I was responding to the injections. It turned out that I was responding quicker than average - most people need around 10 days of stimming, whereas I was only at 7 days at that time. I figured I was responding to the meds because I have been feeling very tired and my ovaries feel like a million pounds! They found 2 follicles that were over 17 mm, 3 that were between 15-17 mm, and another 3 that were between 10-15 mm = 8 potential follicles total. Some people on the high end of the spectrum of IVF will have 15-20 follicles, and some on the low end will have around 1-2... so they said I was somewhere in the average in terms of our response quantity. They scheduled our egg retrieval for Saturday (EEK), expecting that the follicles will continue to grow until then.

Of course, as life would have it, our egg retrieval is scheduled at the exact same time as Jake's final customs exam for work. He can't reschedule his exam, and we can't reschedule the egg retrieval. So I've asked my mom to take me and come with me to the egg retrieval while Jake does his exam.

Soon after the egg retrieval we will know how many eggs they were able to retrieve (if any - there are no guarantees). If we have eggs, they will do ICSI and inject 1 sperm into each egg. We will get a call about 24 hours later (on Sunday I hope) to tell us how many eggs were fertilized. And from there, we monitor them.

Here's hoping that Saturday goes well - Im hoping for a few good eggs that can get fertilized by Sunday!!! If that all works out, hopefully we will transfer a healthy embryo next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're pregnant!

We're pregnant! (again) On Sunday April 29, 2018 we transferred our frozen embaby who survived the ice age! I began taking pregnancy t...