Saturday 15 September 2018

Our embryo survived the ice age!

In March 2018, we FINALLY got the go ahead to try again with a Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). Based on our previous failed protocol, this protocol was different (and suggested my me).

In April, I got my period and started injections again. Depending on where we were at in the cycle, I injected myself 1-3 times a day with the goal of thickening my uterine lining to 7mm. Although we only needed my uterus to thicken, this protocol was the same as my prior September 2018 IVF cycle and it meant that I was growing a gajillion follicles. I was essentially doing a second IVF cycle, without the egg retrieval. Instead, once my lining reached about 7.5mm thick, I "triggered" and ovulated all 20+ follicles (OUCH). We were instructed to abstain from all sex, for fear of getting pregnant with multiples (very doubtful, but we did not want to take any risks).

Finally the day came for our FET. We did not find out until we were at the Ottawa Fertility Centre (OFC) that morning, whether our embryo had survived being thawed or not. We were SO happy when we found out that our embaby survived the ice age! We got over that hurdle.

That morning, we transferred our embryo - the embryo that was created from our eggs and sperm which were retrieved and combined in our September 2018 IVF cycle, cryogenically frozen over the winter, thawed, and then transferred back into my uterus on April 29, 2018.

That day I was wearing what I deemed my "lucky fertility earrings" - these were pineapple earrings I bought for myself, for this FET. In the infertility world, pineapples are a sign of good luck and fertility.


And then we were to wait (again), to find out if this embryo decided to settle in and make a home in my uterus! We had very mixed emotions - we were very hopeful but also preparing ourselves for the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We're pregnant!

We're pregnant! (again) On Sunday April 29, 2018 we transferred our frozen embaby who survived the ice age! I began taking pregnancy t...